Monday, October 28, 2013

House update: picking out the accoutrement

We are getting remarkably close to our pile of wood actually looking like a house.


Here it is a few days ago. Since then they have started putting the plywood down so it will be ready for shingles and the such.  We might actually get it relatively close to being closed in by the time the snow really hits us.

Here is what the house will look like when it is all said and done.  I believe it will be done in April of 2078, but they have assured us it will be much sooner. As I mentioned before, we are in a rental right now - a sweet little place with no dishwasher which is only making me slightly homicidal - and aren't in any great hurry.  Except, of course, to get my dishwasher and a tub I can actually bathe in.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. My point was: the build is moving along and we are getting to the fun part.

Picking out stuff!!

Today, we get to pick out shingles, siding, and rock for our house.  We found out which companies we were able to choose from and went to town. We could agree on a few things -- we wanted blue siding (I wanted light, he wanted darker) but there is only one option, so that solved that. We also wanted a coloured door. I wanted red.

We went through all the rocks and told each other which ones we liked. From there, we narrowed it down to what went best with the blue.  The rock lead to the rust colour for the door and the shingles were the only ones we actually liked.

And voila! I created a board to show exactly what we wanted.  Here it is below.  (Yes, I'm a big dork. So is The Guy. He bought all the flooring and tile months ago. We like to plan ahead.)



Now we will go to meet the contractor, nail down exactly what will be used, and place an order for it all. Then it's just up to the working crew to put it all together.

I'll let you know if this is at all close to what we actually end up with!

1 comment:

  1. Love that shade of blue! and, the brick facing looks really nice (the multiple colours are doing to look awesome). It isn't easy to pick exterior stuff, but I think you've nailed it!

    ReplyDelete

As much as I like to hear myself talk, I like to hear from you too!