Saturday, March 29, 2014

Seven years and no itch in sight

Seven years ago, I was complaining about how much I hated dating. I fervently wished someone would just arrange a marriage for me so I didn't have to think about it.

Then I went for coffee with The Guy.
Wade and Bronwyn at the look out
We were so young!
I liked him - he was tall and funny - but I was sure the world would stop spinning and birds would sing as soon as I met "the one" so I didn't know if I was convinced.

I was so naive.

The thing was: I couldn't stop thinking about him. He was funny and interesting and after a few dates I knew he was pretty special.  I realized I didn't want him NOT to be in my life.

I think back to that girl I was back then. Scattered, emotionally damaged, wandering but on a holding pattern, and, honestly, a bit of a tool.

The Guy had a lot to do with me calming down and getting more focused. He helped me relax and be more comfortable with who I am, so I'm not so worried about being silly.  I am a better person now because he has been in my life and I like to think he's better too.

That's what the me of 7 years ago didn't get.  Love isn't about earth shaking and harps playing - it's about two people who make each other better versions of themselves. It's about little things every day that show love and appreciation.

Untitled
2014 - it's our year

I'm glad that girl smartened up. I'm glad she took a chance.  

I'm reaping the benefits.

And there are still a lot more to come.


17 comments:

  1. Aw! Love this. And that is a perfect description of a couple. Notice how hollywood movies all end AFTER the kiss. Cause the realness is in the REALness and not the birds singing and fireworks blasting hoopla. Love this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! I did forget to include that both parties will want to strangle each other two days later!

      Delete
  2. Exactly the same for us -- and we've now been married 40 years. Trust what you are for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's unfortunate that some people don't open themselves up to the possibility of love because they think things like, "If he isn't sending me flowers every day, he doesn't really love me." No, love is when that person is bringing you soup when you're sick or putting up gracefully with your bad mood or just looking into your eyes and smiling. It's wonderful that you and The Guy found that true love with one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're exactly right, Alia. Those are the things that make love real.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you so loud & clear and can totally relate. Congrats to you and yours on being REAL and in love and making it work. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, I'm so glad you can relate too. It's one of my favourite things. (Please note, I deleted one of your comments because it was duplicated NOT because it was bad!!)

      Delete
  6. This is so sweet. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're completely right! I'm so happy you opened your heart and found the one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two make a great couple, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

As much as I like to hear myself talk, I like to hear from you too!