Thursday, June 12, 2014

Kitchen progress - sort of settled: New house update

Considering I've updated you all on every moment of this house build, it's only fair I keep you in the loop.

We are in our house and getting settled.  We now have a fridge, a working dishwasher, and back pain.

Oh, the back pain.

Unpacking blues


I've been spending my free time opening boxes and deciding where important things should go for the rest of their lives. It's very strenuous.

The potato masher needs a good home, people!

The kitchen is the only place I am even close to being done. The living room is a near second.  The Guy has organized and unpacked his office, and is now fixing and installing little things around the house.

We will be fully settled someday.  In time for my retirement party, I assume.

The Kitchen


Layout


Kitchen layout

In case you forget, this is the layout of my kitchen.  You enter from the foyer on the left hand side and come straight into the kitchen. It stretches from one end of the house to the other and is bathed in southern light.

It's exactly what I wanted.

Island


The island is a thing of beauty. It is shiny and lovely and enormous. It is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide and has SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!

Untitled
The accent wall with my paintings
and THE ISLAND

In the island is a deep sink with an awesome faucet that does all sorts of neat things. I'm super paranoid about water spots and scratches right now, so I'm being fanatical about wiping every droplet.

It also has a working dish washer. That was a bit of a struggle to get, so I'm thankful it's there.

I am still in awe that I no longer have to wash by hand.

So much in awe.

Fridge and Stove


My fridge is also now present and working. After over a week of going to the garage to get anything resembling food, I have been excited to put things in a shiny new refrigerator.

It takes so little to please me.

Small minds and the like.

I also now have a stove! It is gas and shiny and easy to use.

Despite one small mishap when I forgot I had something on the stove and burnt it to a crisp, it has been a wonderful addition in our lives. I love using it and am almost excited to MAKE stuff.

Anyone who knows my hatred of all things cooking will be amused by this.

Untitled
Pantry door and stove

Organization


I explained to someone today that I have been planning the organization of this kitchen for 6 months now. It's only fair I get to really do it up right.

I have shelf liners in every drawer and cupboard and I have everything organized based on type, purpose, and amount of use.

I'm a big nerd. I'm aware.

Untitled
Pot drawers are amazing

I cannot express to you the joy I have found in pot drawers. I have 6 of them and I'm in love.

I only have 6 pots, so I could do one in each!

I haven't, but I could.

Instead, I have drawers of plastic happiness (what my Dad calls Tupperware - it amuses me), a drawer for our toasters, and drawers for things I never knew could go in drawers.

I'm in my happy place.

I have not organized the pantry yet, but I will get there eventually. I am waiting on a couple of turning tray thingies that I'm forcing my brother to foray into Ikea to pick up for me and then I can go to town.

One room down, a zillion to go.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you have a gas range. So much better than electric. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read once that moving is one of the biggest stresses in life. However, this too, will one day be a memory. You've got a beautiful home there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barb. I wish I had been home when you met Dad in town. I would have given you the grand tour. Next time!!

      Delete
  3. I totally love everything about your kitchen. The colors are amazing and that big island is really spectacular. It's perfect for cooking up dishes for a house party. Those pot drawers really are a boon. It's good that you're very enthused by the kitchen to whip up your culinary prowess again. I hope everything else with the house goes as well as the kitchen. All the best!

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Arthur! It is a wonderful home and makes me want to have huge waves of guests through it's doors!!

      Delete

As much as I like to hear myself talk, I like to hear from you too!