I searched for a shrug that would work, but couldn't find anything in the colours I wanted. I'm a knitter, so I thought "I'll just make one!" I looked for yarn I thought would work and ordered.
When it arrived, I loved it and thought that it would be close enough to work. I couldn't find any pattern that fit exactly what I needed, so I thought "I'll just make one!"
|I even used my fancy Tardis notebook!|
I drew up what was in my imagination of the perfect little shrug and then looked for ideas on how to bring it into life.
I should be stopped.
I went to the magical internet, and found a lovely site with all the math needed to make the sweater I wanted. I wrote all the instructions down (for posterity) and then set about measuring myself and doing math.
|The one spelling correction still bothers me|
There was a lot of cursing and crying. That was just while I did the math!!
Once it was all ready, I went to town. I started it hoping I would be able to wear it while we were in Hawaii (that was November). However, I never thought about the fact I was using a 3.75mm needle (that's pretty small for non-knitter-folk) and it would end up being over 200 stitches per row.
So, after I threw a fit and didn't want to look at it for a few months, I picked it up again. I had 4 days of meetings to go to and figured I should have something to do so I didn't fall asleep.
I finished it in record time.
There was just one small problem.
It didn't fit.
It was okay right up until the band under my boobs.
You know, the most important part. The part that holds everything in place and makes sure the sweater does not end up under my armpits.
|That band. Right there.|
So, I ripped it out.
I had a co-worker once who banned me from knitting in front of her because she could not bear to see me work for 4 hours and then rip it all out to the beginning. I thought of her as I ripped out over 700 stitches.
I redid the math of measurements and stitches and all that noise and started over. I decreased the sweater band down to what I thought was a perfect size.
I finished it. I put the buttons on it. I thought I had it.
I know better.
It didn't fit.
So, rather than cry and burn the entire thing, I calmly set it down on a chair for a few days. I thought about it, grabbed some sewing elastic I had on hand and set myself down to tack it on.
|ALL. HAND. STITCHED.|
It is all complete now and I can wear it.
It just doesn't match the dress.